Thursday, July 5, 2012

7 Habits of Happy Kids: UPDATED Poster Set - FREE!

Since summer school is officially over, I am back at work creating and getting new units ready for school next year.

One of the first things I wanted to work on was giving my 7 Habits of Happy Kids posters a "refresh." Denyse at Scrappin' Doodles did an amazing job creating clip art for the 7 Habits.


I cannot wait to use them in my lessons this year. I'm already brainstorming some character education lessons to share with you *after* they've been classroom tested. :)

For those of you who aren't familiar with the 7 Habits of Happy Kids, it's a book written by Sean Covey. The book mirrors The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey (his father). Sean's book tells seven different stories about the animals who live in Seven Oaks, a woodland community. The characters learn how practicing the seven habits helps them to lead fuller and more productive lives. It is really a fabulous character education tool.







We use it in conjunction with The Leader in Me by Stephen Covey. This book serves as our "guide" as we work to establish a leadership theme in our building. Covey describes how several other schools have implemented The 7 Habits books with great success.





 

If this is something you're interested in trying, I would recommend starting with The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. Our school used this book to train a core group of teachers on the seven habits before bringing it into the classroom. The training and the book made me reexamine the way I interact with both adults and children. It has changed the way I talk to my husband, my family, my co-workers, my friends and especially my students. I am a big believer in the theory that if you aren't willing to apply the principles yourself, you won't see the success you're looking for in your classroom.

Like my friend Rafe says - "If I want my kids to work hard and be kind, I have to be the kindest and hardest working person they know."

I really enjoyed reading through this with a group of people. I always learn more when I can "talk it out" with other people. Maybe you can find a group of like-minded peeps who are willing to try it out with you!





 Middle school friends, fear not! There is even a book for teens! :)







If you've made it all the way to the end of this post, you deserve a freebie! :) Click on the picture below to download the posters from my TpT store. If you're in a 7 Habits/Leader in Me/Lighthouse school, I'd love to hear from you!



Finally, don't forget to stop by We Read, We Blog, We Teach for my friend Stephanie's thoughts on Chapter 2: From "Management" to "Principled Habits." We love hearing what you have to say!


Signature

15 comments:

  1. Oooo, perfect timing! I just posted about wanting to try this next year and then, voila! Your post is perfect! I picked up that set from SD a while back- she really did an amazing job :) I hope you'll blog about this more- I will definitely be checking back :) Thanks!

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was over-the-moon when Denyse emailed me to let me know they were ready. There will definitely be more posts to come on 7HoHK. My teaching partner and I are meeting soon to talk about our back to school activities!

      Delete
  2. Just PrEcIoUs!!! I can see these on my office door . . . OR . . . better yet . . . on a bulletin board!!! Thanks SO much!

    Summertimes smiles,

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been a Covey fan for many years, starting with my very first planner. I have lived the 7 habits (at least I try to...). About 6 years ago I was lucky enough to be selected as part of a character education grant/initiative for our district and received many tools to start a character ed program at my previous school. I was the only person in the program to include The Leader in Me program as part of what I received. The best part was the stuff travels with me, it doesn't stay with the school, so I was able to use it in my current school when I transferred here 3 years ago. I think this is one of the best programs around and my students love the characters so much, that they don't even know they are learning a lesson! Thanks for the freebie and stop by my blog to enter to win a great new product from Carson Dellosa!

    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That grant sounds fabulous! You are right about the characters too - the kids love them!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Abby! I have your posters from last year too. I spread them all over my school. Haha! We are launching LIM this year. I'm too excited. The teachers have been working hard at school to get things painted and looking fresh. Looking forward to more 7 habits advice and guidance from you and your blog. :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! :) Make sure you spread these around - I think there were a couple of errors in the last set. :) I'll be sure to post more about LIM/7HoHK this year. I can't wait to see what you guys have up your sleeves too!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the posters. This will be our 3rd year being a leadership school and the posters will be a wonderful addition to my classroom and when teaching the 7 habits. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the freebie we are just starting LIM this year in our district and I am sure these will be a big help. They are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Abby! I just nominated you for an award. Come claim it at my blog. I'm sorry I can't link it.

    Elissa
    www.hardworkingteachingmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am your newest follower and I love your blog! I'm starting 7 habits in my class as well. Check out my new blog for the resources I have collected :)

    Jessie
    Look Who's Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Stephen R. Covey! I was so sad to hear that he passed away this summer. His wisdom will be missed for sure. Thank you for sharing your ideas and these marvelous posters! :)

    Kammy
    Swimming in Second

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a copy of the Leader in Me Posters you could send me? I can't find them on the TPT site anymore?

    Thanks
    jjfarmerj@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover