Thursday, May 29, 2014

Summer Lovin'!

http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/2014/05/top-ten-things-i-want-to-do-this-summer.htmlThis is my 2nd official day of summer vacation, and I'm trying to make the most of every day! We have a LOT to do before Little Man arrives in September - it's going to be a busy summer!!

When I saw Deanna's link-up, I thought this would be a great way to prioritize the big stuff I want to finish before we head back to work on July 28th. Can you actually "nest" on your blog?? :)

(Yes, you read that right. My district is headed back to work on July 28th and kids come back on August 4th. I know. It's gross.)




1. We need a nursery!

Little Man has a room, but that's about it. We have to put his nursery together this summer. Thank goodness I have a job that allows for ample time in the summer to get it done or we would be in trouble! This is the "theme" we're planning on...


My sweet Mama painted this once we told our parents about our sock monkey theme. (Her grand-mama name will be Mia.) I cannot wait to start putting everything together. I love that we'll be able to pull things from lots of different places.

2. Come out of the classroom!

This was an unexpected (but welcome!) change I found out about a few weeks ago. I had initially asked my principal to consider letting me move grade levels (somewhere between K-2), so when she asked me to consider taking a position outside of the classroom I was a little more than surprised.

Next year, I'll work as an EIP teacher at my school. {EIP = Early Intervention Program} I'll go into different K-5 classrooms and help my fellow teachers by pulling small groups of kids who are considered at-risk in reading or math. I'm really excited to put my math shoes back on! I'll also get to peek at different grade levels, and hopefully practice some of the early literacy strategies that have been rusting away in my brain for awhile.My school is full of incredible teachers and I'm most excited about being able to see so many of them in action!

It was really weird to pack up my classroom and move into an office, but I'm excited (and really thankful!) for the opportunity to try something new!

3. Remember how to teach math!

http://amzn.to/1rkmtrz
Ha!! I've been in a departmentalized ELA only classroom for the last 7 years, so I'm looking forward to teaching math again. To get myself ready, I'm working with a group of fabulous bloggers on a guided math + conferring book study. We'll start up on June 19th, so if this is something you're interested in go ahead and grab a copy of Guided Math Conferences. Come back SUNDAY for the chance to win your own copy!!

4. Be a bookworm!


My iPad is FULL of books to read for the summer. I've already started You Should Have Known and I cannot wait to stay up late reading!

5. Enjoy our babymoon vacation! 



Mr. Bookworm and I are headed to Palm Beach for a few days before: a) it gets too late for me to travel  and b) I look like a beached whale. :) I can't wait!!

6. Parenthood!
I have to join Deanna for this next "to-do" - 



I'm about 6 or 7 episodes behind on this year's season. I LOVE this show. I'm going to be so sad when they air the last 13 episodes in the fall! Thank goodness for DVR + Hulu Plus!

7. Avoid my pregnancy kryptonite: heat + hunger

I don't know about my readers that have already done this, but I've learned that I absolutely cannot get hot or hungry. Both result in a cranky, nauseous, miserable person I do not enjoy becoming. Mr. Bookworm has already recognized that he longer controls the thermostat, and that we will pay the energy bills with a smile all summer long!! :)

8. Stockpile the freezer!

I love to cook! However, I know that in September my energy and time will be a little depleted. So I'm planning to spend a little time this summer prepping some meals we can pop right into the oven or (my favorite!!) the crock pot. I also love using my crock pot in the summer because it doesn't make my house hot like the oven would.

If you want to see some of the recipes I'll be trying out, follow my "What a Crock!" board on Pinterest!

http://www.pinterest.com/abbylee621/what-a-crock/

9. Read a little more...

I know. I can't help myself! :) Before I knew about my new position, I wanted to participate in a second book study for Donalyn Miller's new book - Reading in the Wild.

http://amzn.to/1kpLEzo
This one also starts up in a couple of weeks... and I'll be back SATURDAY to give away a copy of this as well!

10. Float on!



If I'm not at home with one of my gazillion summer reads, you can bet I've probably gone to float in a friend's pool somewhere. If we don't take time to sharpen the saw this summer, we can't be the teachers our little people need us to be!

I'm headed to check out everyone else's lists... maybe I'll find a few ideas to add to mine!

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...